Monday, January 10, 2011

1st Week in London

   I arrived in London's Heathrow airport last Monday, the 3rd of January and since then I have been going non-stop in this huge international city. I have made many friends in my study abroad dorm, most of which go to Penn State and I can already tell that I will continue to be friends with these people after my trip is over. I have explored my new University and registered for classes. I had the chance to see the sequel to the Phantom of the Opera play called "Love Never Dies" which is only playing in London, it was amazing and if anyone ever has the chance to come over here while it is still playing I highly suggest you go & see it! I have gotten down the layout of their subway system which they call the "Tube" or the "Underground", but still have some difficulty with the bus system because it is very complicated and their roads look more like a spiderweb then a grid like Chicago, but I'm sure over time that I will get the hang of it. 
   I went to a pub called the Churchill Arms on Wednesday which was the epitome of an English pub, and it is where Winston Churchill used to give a lot of his speeches during his time. He was the Prime Minister after WWII and was a key player and leader for England and the Allies during WWII. On Saturday I had a guided tour around London on which I saw Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, the Clock Tower or "Big Ben", the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abby, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, and many more amazing sights!
  Yesterday I went to see Windsor Castle which is located right outside London. It was an amazing experience, I got to go inside the castle and see the state apartments & what a sight that was. This castle has been built and rebuilt and built upon some more since 1100 AD when William the Conqueror attempted to control the whole of England by controlling the Thames river which the castle rests upon. It was amazing to see where Kings like Henry VIII and Queens like Elizabeth I have lived. I got to see original Rembrandt paintings, the armor worn by Kings of the past, the rooms where they lived and died in and I got to walk the halls they used to walk! I got to see the Chapel where Henry VIII was buried in next to his third wife Jane Seymour, who he called his Favorite wife because she was the only one to give him the son he longed for. I can't wait to see every castle I possibly can after that experience, each one is so amazing and unique!

This is an amazing place full of so much history and I love just soaking it all up! I can't wait to tell you what other places I have visited & experiences I have had so stay tuned for my next post!

Love and Miss you all
Kira :)

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Please continue the history lesson on all the places you see. It is so interesting to hear about what happened in days of old and to look at the pictures that correspond with them. Make a list of the BEST places you've been to since when I come there is no way i can see everything you will be able to! i can't wait for your next post, love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete